Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago Today

By Mike Batista

I actually wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to the Steelers on Sept. 11, 2001. Two days earlier, they lost the season opener 21-3 at Jacksonville. After three very mediocre seasons, I figured here we go again.

On the morning of Sept. 11, I slept in. I woke up and turned on SportsCenter late in the morning. I remember seeing something about Michael Jordan coming back from retirement. Then I remember seeing on the crawl at the bottom of the screen that some Major League Baseball games were postponed because of "attacks in New York and Washington."

Since I still didn't know what was going on, I figured it was another Oklahoma City, still enough to give me a sinking feeling.

Then at the top of the hour, ABC News took over ESPN's airwaves, and that's how I found out.

Now, 10 years later, the Steelers and Ravens start a new season. These teams represent cities just about the same distance from Shanksville, Pennsylvania, where the heroes of Flight 93 saved another landmark in Washington from possible destruction.

Enjoy the football today, but let's remember the real heroes.

No comments:

Post a Comment